Experienced. Understanding. Successful.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Separate Maintenance

Close Guidance When Navigating Separate Maintenance

Spouses who are considering separating from their spouse may be wary of divorce. Rather than filing for divorce, couples may opt to instead pursue a less permanent option for their separation. In these instances, a separate maintenance may be appropriate for you and your spouse.

At Arnold & Bailey, we know how difficult marital problems are for both you and your children. We take the time to learn about the unique facts and challenges within your case. Our thorough and collaborative approach helps us identify and implement effective solutions that reflect your wishes.

What Is Separate Maintenance?

Individuals in West Virginia file for separate maintenance when they want a legal separation from their spouse. There are a lot of similarities between separate maintenance and divorce, but the key difference is that you remain legally married. However, should you and your spouse ultimately decide to fully divorce in the future, a separate maintenance will help expedite that process.

Protecting Your Interests In The Separation Agreement

Similar to divorce, separate maintenance includes an agreement that outlines the rules of the spouses’ separation. Our attorneys provide skilled representation that you need to secure an outcome that fits your needs.

Our aggressive approach has allowed us to reach successful agreements for individuals in Jefferson County and throughout the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia for issues involving:

  • Distribution of marital assets
  • Child support
  • Alimony
  • Child custody
  • Parental and grandparents’ rights
  • Relocation issues

Discuss All Of Your Options With Us

Determining whether divorce or a separate maintenance is right for you is not always easy to identify. Our lawyers will work closely with you to weigh the pros and cons of separate maintenance so that you can make an informed decision.

To speak with our attorneys, please call 304-930-5721 or send our Charles Town office an email.